Friday, March 26, 2010

Let's have an edible schoolyard in EVERY school!

I was reading about the Edible Schoolyard created by Alice Waters yesterday ( http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/about-us ) and was thinking how amazing it would be for every school to have this opportunity.  From the blog:  The Edible Schoolyard (ESY), established in 1995, is a one-acre garden and kitchen classroom at Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, California. It is a program of the Chez Panisse Foundation, a non-profit organization founded by chef and author Alice Waters.

I wonder what it would take to get legislation passed to have this everywhere.  Wouldn't that be wonderful to have kids at school getting excited about farming?  This is the type of thing that can change not only the health of our children, but with exposure to how things grow, how to be creative, how to cultivate a garden, and be able to eat the food teaches our children to be self-sustaining human beings. 


I think our dependency on food would shift back from grocery stores to local farming.  I have often wondered, living in Georgia, why it is I cannot for the life of me, find a good Georgia Peach in the supermarkets during prime peach season, but I can get wonderful New Jersey Peaches.  For those of you who aren't familiar with Georgia's relationship to peaches...it is on our license plates, girls grow up being compared to "georgia peaches" (which given my experience isn't such a good compliment...)  But seriously, I've been told by a Georgia Peach farmer's daughter that they ship all of the good grade A peaches out of state, and leave the grade B (second rate) peaches here in state.  Crazy-Amazing.  So going local (buying from your nearby farmer) is the only way REALLY to get those delicious mouth watering peaches that the state is known for.


The other thing I think would happen, is that you would see many more people planting fruit and vegetables in their gardens rather than having grass, which is one dimensional.  I do believe in grass.  I have a 3 year old and it is important to me that my son grow up playing wildly in the yard and creating fantasy lands of explorers in that yard of grass and trees.  But in other parts of the yard, it is also important to designate a part to growing such yummy things as tomatos, cucumbers, zucchini, melons, and have apple trees, pears, plums, and yes, peaches.  Much of my childhood is full of memories of eating fruit right off of trees: pommegranites, apples, plums, delicious mouth watering berries...and some other fruit that I am forever searching for that we used to eat from a tree in Mrs Leonard's back yard in LA (the name of which I think will forever escape me). 

How wonderful would that be?  To have our children have that wonderful education of being able to grow their own food, and, to have memories of eating right off the tree rather than thinking their fruit and vegetables come from the grocery store...and that's it.  My dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment