Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cutting down on plastic baggies

I am trying to eliminate the use of plastic baggies in our family's daily activities.  I have gotten a $3 sandwich holder.  Boy, is it worth the $3!!!  I use it everyday for my son's sandwiches.  I figure at the daily rate, I will save AT LEAST 365 baggies a year.  Forget about the dollar savings, I'm loving the fact that I will not need to THROW AWAY and put in the trash, those baggies.  I can't tell you how it pains me to throw away those bags.  Maybe it's having been raised in Oregon and watching my mother save baggies throughout my upbringing (they have a drawer dedicated to used baggies), that has me pained to throw them away, but even still, regardless of the reason, I am thrilled to not be doing it.  Imagine if everyone used those sandwich holders everyday.  Imagine, the amount of oil (yes, oil) we wouldn't be using to make all of those plastic bags.  I'm just saying, that $3 is worth a lot more than $3, really.

Now, where else can I cut down on my family's carbon footprint??

1 comment:

  1. Me, too. With "encouragement" from the kids' school we have converted to an almost trash free lunch. I made the kids little fabric sandwich baggies out of cute fabric w/ velcro that we put lots of the lunch stuff in and use little containers for "wet" stuff. I just throw them in the wash once a week or so to get the remains of cracker crumbs out. ove the blog!

    ReplyDelete